In general this area covers: Listening, understanding and talking.
- being able to use conversation with one other person, in small groups and in large groups to talk with and listen to others;
- adding to their vocabulary by learning the meaning of – and being able to use – new words.
- being able to use words to describe their experiences.
- getting to know the sounds and letters that make up the words we use.
- listening to – and talking about – stories.
- knowing how to handle books and that they can be a source of stories and information.
- knowing the purposes for which we use writing.
- making their own attempt at writing.
- beginning to read words and simple sentences.